- Design the interior first and then think about the exterior. Most people think about the exit first which makes things quite complicated later.
- Decide how many egress windows you want and if it is quite at a height from the ground then what sort of stairs or ladders you want for the window well.
- Know your local building codes and residential rules. There is a certain range of rules and guidelines fixed up for every place, and people have to follow them. Or hire someone who knows the rules.
- Select the material from the basement window that you want. There are a lot of options available in the market like vinyl, wood acrylic block, aluminum and a lot more. All you need to do is to select the right one as per your living space, soil condition and climate.
- Then there comes the question of installation. If you are doing it on your own, then grab the right tools and if you do not then find a skilled contractor within a reasonable price.
You Will Need Covers Too!
Ever heard of a window well cover? These covers act as a storm cover for your basement window and would prevent your window well from collapsing. Your Egress window is protecting you in case of emergency; you should do the same for it. The material for basement window wells differs quite largely.
It can be just simple transparent plastic or polythene or even the strong, shielded aluminum or steel ones galvanized in different shapes of circular, rectangular or any other structure. That’s how significantly Egress windows are used in most of the basements or even in places other than basements like the small rooms in rooftops.